Monday, April 6, 2009

the lsat chronicles - test 3 and session 9

Test 3 came a week early because Tutor had to be out of town on Saturday and thought we'd prefer a substitute procter over a substitute teacher. He called it.

The SP was a bit... well... rude. He pretty much answered no one. It was a little strange. One woman said she came into the room first and told him "good morning" and he ignored her. He ignored me when I told him goodbye. He ignored the repeated questions asked about whether the writing sample was optional.

Tutor asked how we felt about him. I told him we missed him a lot but I couldn't say anything about the SP because he didn't really bring his personality to the room. Everyone else said he was just rude. I had to laugh. It was true. I said maybe he was just have a bad day. Tutor said he felt very wanted after that. I suggested maybe he should be a little meaner to us because clearly we are spoiled from his affability. He then roughly told us to turn to page so-and-so.

I didn't hear and asked him what page and he roughed me up and I apologized for not paying attention. Then I had to ask my seatmate for the page anyway! It was good to start the class with a laugh. We did miss Tutor.

The test itself on Saturday wasn't so bad. There were 3 Logical Reasoning sections, which was exhausting. Anyone of them could be the experimental section, so you just had to slog through. The Logic Games was half-and-half. There were 2 great questions and I soared through those. One was just mind-boggling but I did actually get through the sketch and, had I stuck with it a couple more minutes, I would have been able to work it out. But I was so confuffled by what the questions were asking that I just lost it. They gave you seven suspects, each questioned by the police in some kind of order, and then expect you figure out who confessed! It was just something else.

The 4th game was a lot harder than it looked. I thought it was pretty good, but I got too many wrong. I should have done better. I should have done better on both because I was almost there in the suspects question. Must learn not to get intimidated by dumb questions.

The Reading Comp was good and I was very happy with that. My overall score stayed the same and I guess that is a good thing for a test that came a week early and covered things we hadn't been taught. Still, I would have liked to see some improvement, especially in Logical Reasoning.

Sunday morning brought Tutor all cheery and bright. He went through the suspects questions with me before class started and offered to go through the next one after class. We started class with a Reading Comp quiz and I was very pleased with my score.

The entire weekend was marred by me having a bad cold. I was ok during the test but got all wooly-headed in class. We spent session 9 on Reading Comp and dealing with roadmapping the passage and identifying questions types. Luckily for me, I did a lot of that in the online workshops that Kaplan offers with the LSAT Extreme class, so I could zone out a little every now and then. And every time I blew my nose, I couldn't hear anything. I had to blow my nose a lot. I was glad I covered a lot of the class beforehand.

I have a workshop tonight and I am hoping I can spend today quietly so I can save up my energy for later. Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment