Sunday, June 13, 2010

the day before law preview

So this class starts at 7:30 in the morning. Which means I have to leave home by 6:30. I wake up at 6:40 usually. Now I have to wake up at 5:30. I also had to save up my birthday money to spend on breakfast and lunch next week b/c we just poured a set of money into the Jersey City place because of a bed bug infestation.

I've made up a lunch menu for John to help him out as he is on Pie duty all of next week. Mostly by himself. Pie has 2 major events in school that I am so disappointed to miss. Second grade opens up a "store" and sells stuff, as they have been learning about money all year. John went to last year's 2nd grade and had a good time. I was looking forward to seeing my son and I'm heartbroken and trying not to let him know.

On Friday is his school's annual Field and Family Day, and the last day of school. The school hits up a park and has a huge field to play and picnic on. I had to say all my goodbyes last Friday as I won't be seeing any of the teachers or parents this week.

I've also lagged in the reading I'm supposed to be doing to prepare for the course. They advised that we read up to Wednesday's class but I'm barely done with Monday's. Granted, it's quite a few cases and I'm trying to brief them all and forgetting almost as fast as I take notes. I'm hoping that the fact that left some for today means I will remember them tomorrow!

Torts is going to be trouble, I can see it. I also think the fact that I am already set on what I want to do is going to work against me. I'm going to have to motivate myself as far as Tort and Criminal Law goes. I need Property, Contracts and Civil Procedures to move into 2nd year IP courses. Plus, there's that whole top 15% Harlan Scholar thing and Law Review. Tort counts too!

Also, instead of case-briefing, I am distracted by
(1) popsicles
(2) "Avatar: The Last Airbender" marathon on Nick
(3) blogging

The good thing is that I have only 2 cases left to go. They are short, but that doesn't mean they are easy to grasp. Tort Law is very odd. Not only have ambulance-chasing lawyers given it a bad name, but sometimes I feel a bit sorry for the Big defendant. The plaintiff seems to be able to get away with a lot. Not that Big Tobacco didn't deserve it, but some of the defendants I'm reading about seem to be getting the short end of the stick. Of course, I am only reading the decision of the Appeal Court and it always sounds very reasonable. But reading between the lines a bit makes me wonder if giving the plaintiff such a wide berth to litigate is a good idea. Maybe it's just me and I'm not even in law school yet.

At least I'm thinking about it, right. One good step alongside all the bad habits I'm struggling to break.

No comments:

Post a Comment