Tuesday, March 31, 2009

the last chronicles - fundamentals of logic games, sessions 7 and 8

Fundamentals of Logic Games was a terrific workshop. The tutor, not mine this time, has been teaching at Kaplan for years and it showed. He could recall every logic game ever. It was a little intimidating but the guy was so engaging and charming and funny that, by the end, I felt I could recall every game if I really put my mind to it.

Only 6 people showed up to this class. I like the small sessions but I wish more people would show up because Kaplan might cut back on workshops if attendance is low. Well, at least I am enjoying them as they are being offered.

I really found the session very helpful. The tutor broke everything down into small words. He took apart the elements and put them back together so we knew the whys and wherefores. It came in very useful later on.

At the beginning of Session 7, we had a practice Logic Games session and I did very well. I find I can crack the harder games but am having an issue with simple sequencing. We spent most of Session 8 doing sequencing Logic Games and then had a practice test at the end. Again, the easiest question had me crashing and burning but the more difficult questions I got through with more ease. I even find success with the Kaplan method and managed my time very well in the section. But I was so at sea with that one easy question that I wound up guessing and got all wrong. I had to stay after class so Tutor could go through the question with me.

So I guess I am on my way. I usually get a chance to talk to Tutor before class and he tells me I am doing the right thing. I am looking forward to having Pie and the husband go back out so I can get back to 4-hour study days. I am behind in a lot of the homework and need the practice to catch up. Plus I like the idea of getting into that 4-hour mindset.

Now, onto my class gripes. I do like this class a lot. Everyone is very serious about the work, even if not everyone is writing the exam in June. There is one young woman, a junior in college, who is a bit irritating. She uses "like" after every other work. She says things like: "So, like, should I, like, do, like, this question, before, like, another, or is, like, sequencing before matching? Do you know what I'm asking? Ok. Nevermind." I shit you not. All in one breath. I have no idea how Tutor manages to extract an actual question from between all those "likes". Sometimes I want to smack her.

Also, the habitual latecomers. There are 4 people who show up every session at least 10 minutes late and it's really off-putting. And the one woman who HAS to talk during a test. Does she really think that is all right to do in a test. She sat next to me in one and I very purposefully ignored her. She never sat next to me again.

But, all in all, there are so good people. I think everyone realizes that questions asked are very helpful to the entire class. There are 2 women I have very productive chats with about the work. One of them is around my age and we commiserate together.

No comments:

Post a Comment